Monday, February 1, 2010

Duh!

So I was in an accident today. A car *suddenly* stopped on a high speed road. No brake lights, no hazards, no warning. I slammed my brakes, but couldn't avoid the right side of my car hitting against its bumper. That car was a Taverra and escaped unhurt, but my poor car broke a light, apart from some denting on one side.

Turns out there was a lorry in front of the Taverra and it dropped a huge package in the middle of the road, right in front of the Taverra, causing the driver to come to a dead stop, causing me to ...

Well, so who should turn up but the friendly neighborhood cops, who assured me that as per the police manual it was all *my* fault since I was the one right at the back. I asked whether the police manual had anything about lorries being allowed to drop *huge* parcels (3 ft * 3 ft * 3ft) in the middle of high speed roads. Their interest levels in the rules of the police manual suddenly plummeted, and their reaction actually left me speechless. Honestly. They chased down the lorry, got hold of the driver and made him stand in front of me. Now, madam, they told me -- here he is. What do you want to do?

Duh? What do *I* want to do? Why would *I* want to do anything to the lorry driver? Wasn't it *their* job to figure out what happened, file paperwork accordingly and enable all to claim insurance as required?

Maybe they thought -- oh here's a woman, she will surely be stupid enough to get scared and then we can "help" her (at a price no doubt) to end the matter?

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I was in school and mom had come to pick me up & whilst we were approaching..at a normal speed..the traffic light went red and the driver was like maybe.. a quarter of an inch, maybe even less beyond the yellow line..
    the traffic cop seeing mom and me in the car did his trick..oh it'll cost xyz blah blah and 'coz mom wasn't carrying enough cash, I took some out of my wallet..
    What happened next is better - mom says nothing, takes the car to the nearest police station and raises hell with the sargeant who just happens to be a family friend.. he in turn.. calls the traffic cop in berates him infront of the entire station, yells at him for taking a bribe and that too from a little schoolgirl (LOL!)and gets suspended for a week!
    Justice? I think so!

    ReplyDelete