Saturday, February 27, 2010

I don't shop at Spencers, Food World, More/Smart

At various points in the recent past, I've had "interesting" experiences at retail chain stores.
  1. I walked in to do my regular groceries at More/Smart. I went to the refrigerated section and hunted high and low for butter. No luck. I called one of the support staff to ask if they had any. The reply was, "Sorry madam, out of stock". Out of stock? Essentials -- at a grocery store?
  2. I wanted to buy non-toxic Holi colours for my son. The day before Holi. Not too early, right? I saw a colourful "Holi Hai" sign at Spencer's "Hyper" and (erroneously) interpreted it as a sign that they would sell colours. I walked in and asked the support staff for colours. They sniggered at me and said, "Holi powders madam? No, no". So I asked to speak with the manager and find out why they put up a Holi poster and not carry Holi basics. The manager's reply was "Madam, we put the poster to wish people, we WILL get Holi powder stock later." When? After Holi?
  3. I checked the Food World next door for Holi colours and got the same answer. "No madam".
  4. At the same Spencer's "Hyper" mentioned above, sugar was on "discount". Rs 215 if you bought a 5 kg pack, down from Rs 245. That worked out to Rs 43 *per* kg, if you bought 5 kgs. *1* kg of sugar at MK Ahmed was Rs 39 on the *same* day. I know this is what people call a "free market" but somehow the words "stop, thief" keep ringing in my ears.
  5. Another time, shopping at Food World, I found myself in a checkout queue, that had more than 5 people in front of me and growing.Why? There was *only* one checkout counter open of the four that they had. Obviously no one in the store was particularly concerned about customer experience. Maybe they thought that shopping at Food World was such a charm that I wouldn't want to leave the store in a hurry.
  6. Billing errors. Typically this happens when price of an item rises and the store has both old AND new stock of the same. They update the price in their system so that irrespective of what whether you pick old or new stock you get billed at the new higher price. The way to stop yourself from overpaying is to keep checking prices as your items are being billed and point out errors, which will then be manually corrected. For the customers who don't notice, no prize for guessing who pockets the extra money. For some reason it makes me hear voices -- voices that say "stop, thief".
Ok, so ... do I shop at all? ;-)? I shop either at MK Ahmed, or MK Retail, both of which are local stores of Bangalore. These folks *know* how to run a grocery store such that:
  • They never run out of essentials. I mean *never*. And for all of you stores mentioned above, it's not rocket science -- just inventory management.
  • They don't treat customers like fools -- selling discounted sugar at Rs 43 if you buy 5 kgs. You can buy a kg for Rs 39.
  • They stock Holi colours so you *can* get them the day before Holi (non-toxic ones from Pidilite,  organic ones from another company *and* local ones as well)
  • They *always* have enough checkout counters open so that even on the busiest shopping day, you have a short wait.
  • There are no billing errors. I've seen the way they handle price differences. For the same item, if they have stocks at different prices, their systems show up all the price ranges available, and they quickly choose the correct one.
 This blog post is my good deed for the day :-)

6 comments:

  1. agree 100% on all six points against shopping at the supermarkets..I'd add a few more
    7. Staff never seem to know where I can find an item and hang around aimlessly most of the time
    8. Terribly inefficient - it takes AGES to get billing done, even when you're the only one in the queue

    My solution: the local marwari kinara shop - well stocked, a telephone call away, and manage to source anything u need, and even home deliver for an extra 10 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you, this is the frustrating part of the new retail experience. Everytime I have a bad day, I thank my stars for the street corner mom and pop store who recognises my voice over the phoce and home delivers groceries I ordered.He even remembers my favorites "Strawberry cornflakes",

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another point: I went to Big Bazar and asked the support staff for Act 2 popcorn (the DIY non-microwave version). The lady very confidently told me that they don't stock it. I turned the corner and found it in the *next* aisle. So much for knowledgeable customer service!

    Yes, I don't shop at Big Bazar either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only good supermarket I have found in Delhi/NCR is a Reliance Retail outlet in Ambience Mall of Gurgaon. For one, the look and feel of their supermarket is good, the staff is knowledgeable, and they know that their prices are a bit on the higher side. This supermarket somehow reminds me of my shopping experience in a Tesco in England. But other Reliance outlets leave much to be desired. Same is the case with Big Bazaar. The thing with Big Bazaar is that they fail not only on all the points you've listed above, they are simply clueless about what the customer needs. My rants about them need an entire blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Bhavna - Its not that they are clueless... Its just that they are way too lazy to make an effort!! That's what me thinks!.. Rejeev

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always felt that the shop assistants of these big chains are dopey and well....... just idiots in uniforms. They DONT KNOW customer service and DONT CARE if customers don't return......I always go to that small shop just opposite these big ones as the staff there know where things are, and if you go there a few times, they will recognise you..... and more than anything they are efficient

    ReplyDelete