Friday, January 22, 2010

Motorcyclist -- heal thyself!

Just the other day I was at a red light when an ambulance came up behind me with its lights flashing. There was some place to my left, but even as I tried turning my car, the place was quickly taken up by motorcyclists in a tearing hurry to get to their destination -- the ambulance be damned. The ambulance was left with no choice but to wait for the light to turn green, let the traffic in front clear and then head onwards.

On another occasion when I was heading out to drop my son to school,  my view was blocked by parked buses. Since I had to turn right, I inched the nose of my car ahead in order to be able to see the oncoming traffic. Sure enough there was a motorcyclist who seemed to be late for his date with the devil. He was speeding away, and when he saw me, got a little startled and swerved (not that he would have collided into my car). And promptly mouthed a few swear words before heading on. It was MORNING -- a new day was just about beginning -- what a way to start it by swearing at a mom trying to drop her child to school.

Finally, some days ago I saw a motorcyclist stopped for hurrying on the wrong way on a *well-marked* one way road. I was THRILLED to see him pay a fine. If I had been the cop, I would have gone one step further and made him turn back, i.e., go the right way (even thought that would have been the longer route) to get where he was going instead of being allowed to break the one-way rule after paying the fine!

It almost seems as if motorcyclists are the only ones who need to reach on time. There have been umpteen occasions where I have seen them cause traffic jams by getting their bikes on the wrong side of the road if the traffic is moving a little slowly.

As for their life and safety, if they care about it it any way at all, they certainly don't let it show! The way they drive makes me believe that motorcyclists are either super-religious (there is really no other reason I can see for them coming out alive on the road with the driving "skills" and road "sense" that they exhibit), or genuinely have no fear of death!

1 comment:

  1. What annoys me about these idiots is the way they treat pedestrians trying to cross the road.... intentionally speeding towards them, unnecessarily - irrespective of the age of the person crossing the road - and even if there is space around. They get sadistic pleasure in scaring the other road users. Language they use is tiny in comparison to the total evil that they are

    ReplyDelete