Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I hate garbage chutes

Given that the maid has been MIA for the better part of a week, I have had to step in as the (unwilling) substitute. This means doing stuff that I don't normally do such as sweeping, mopping and biggest of all -- taking out the garbage.

Now, I live in a fancy apartment complex that -- among other things, has elevators that talk in an American accent and -- garbage chutes.

When I was in the US, I used garbage chutes -- that were on the same floor that I lived, smooth enough to open easily, springy enough to close right back, and big enough to throw decent sized garbage bags.

It seems to me that the people who designed the chutes here have neither used a garbage chute in the context of family living, nor have they run a home in India. The chutes here are on every alternate floor (so you have to walk up or down a flight of stairs with your heavy garbage bag(s)). They are hard to open, and have to be physically closed (no springy auto-shuts). And worst of all, they are SMALL. In the context of  a very modestly sized Indian home, it's VERY hard to get the garbage bag down the chute! I broke a couple of glass bottles that I had junked today, in the process.

Not surprisingly, even the maids don't like using them and the complex has garbage bags showing up at odd spots. Not to mention the fact that chute remains open unless explicitly closed, causing the stairways to stink.

I understand that garbage chutes are probably a very "cool" idea, but can we study an Indian household and then design them accordingly?

1 comment:

  1. These garbage chutes were designed by 20 something, unmarried/unattached youngsters...... who never had to (or will)take the garbage out, for the people who they know will not take the garbage out.
    But aren't these garbage chutes a nice selling point.
    And do you think any one cares what the maids do with the garbage bag.... as long as they don't throw it in front of their own houses

    ReplyDelete