Sunday, September 27, 2009

Shopper's paradise

I am in Bombay for a vacation and have been shopping till I drop ;-). People who know me will be VERY surprised to hear this because usually I avoid shopping like the plague (other than for provisions) .

But... Bombay is different. Aside from the fact that everything is available a stone's throw from where I live, there is a VERY strong professional ethic and a desire to win over customers, that sadly, I do not see elsewhere.

Here is an example. I was looking for a new data card for my camera. I surfed, found a number and called. I was told that the data card could be home-delivered where I was. The data card costs Rs 600. It was duly delivered to me along with a brochure for cameras that I could upgrade to. Sadly, the data card wouldn't work with my camera. Before I could say anything, my money was returned. (Of course, I chose to keep the card as a memory backup, but I was at no point pressurized to keep a card that I had already opened to try with my camera!).

This wasn't a store that I had been a regular customer with, or knew in any way.

I can only dream of getting this kind of service in other cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment