Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earth Hour

It's Earth Hour today and the chairman of Western Australia's largest sustainability program says Earth Hour is tokenistic and a waste of time.

For the most part, I agree. I see "preparations" on for Earth Hour around me; it strikes me as a way to "get involved" without making any real lifestyle changes that have lasting impact and yet feel good about having "done one's bit".

How many folks that enthusiastically ready for "get-togethers" really plan to make ANY change to reduce their carbon footprint? Mostly, discussions veer to how *others* should make sacrifices to sustain the carbon footprint-heavy lifestyles of the elite.

The only possible advantage of Earth Hour will be to light the flame of inquiry and then concern in young minds who may then be spurred to do something to save their planet...

1 comment:

  1. The idea of this earth hour is
    1. Well I have done by bit.... "I switched off all the unnecessary lights for ONE FULL HOUR.... isn't that so great .... well, I have done my bit... now I can go back to watching cricket on my Hi-definition telephone and hi-fi sound system"
    2. to clear the conscience that constantly keep reminding the elite of the wasteful lifestyle we have....
    3. Well my backyard is clean.... it's that person living beyond the backyard, doing all my dirty job... who has to do more.

    Anyway... I didn't celebrate the earth hour, and am least bit guilty.

    ReplyDelete