Thursday, October 7, 2010

Perfection is Illusory

I was asked, "Have you straightened your hair recently?" for the third time in one week. My reply was the same as always, "No, I was born with this hair". The response "Oh, I straighten my hair periodically, otherwise it looks awful" set me thinking about contemporary "issues".

Is my hair straight enough?
Is my skin fair enough?
Are my eyebrows shapely enough?
Are my nails shaped enough?
Is my figure perfect enough?
And on and on ...

As we answer these questions to the satisfaction of the bottom-lines of the "aesthetics" industry, till reach what is the most important question of all: Is my self-esteem high enough? I wonder what percentage of the population will be able to say yes to that one ...

1 comment:

  1. I have never understood the obsession about fair skin and hair..... These are somethings people are never happy about- My skin is not fair enough, hair is too long/short/wavy/ too straight/ too wavy.
    Hey look at th bright side about our having self doubt and falling for claims of clever ads - It provides employment to people with creative minds.
    I can put a drop of exotic oil and some chemicals with fancy names in something which is mostly water (95% aqua means 95% water), and package it in fancy bottle and get Aishwarya Rai or Deepika or Katrina to model wearing skimpy clothes and walk away with wads of cash

    ReplyDelete