Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Musical Journey

My relationship with classical music has come a long way. What I used to consider elevator music is now something that I actively seek out and listen to. I go for concerts, search for it online, buy CD's and am constantly trying add to my collection.

When I was in the "elevator music" stage, I never actively sought it and tuned off quite soon whenever I encountered it. It was only once I started learning (from my current and 4th music teacher :-P) that I really started appreciating it. Now, when someone sings a taan, I am able to understand and admire it. I am beginning to spot techniques such as using the beat to drop a few words from the phrase and intersperse with the sound of instruments. I can now "immerse" myself in the beauty of classical music.

The reason is simple. My teacher is an *awesome* singer himself -- the link to his music is about 7 years old, and his voice and technique are like wine. He is teaching me ground up and focuses extensively on technique. And works *very* hard to correct flaws (just today he pointed out that my talking and singing voices were sounding different and they shouldn't, apart from the fact that I was being nasal :-P). A good teacher opens the floodgates of knowledge in the subject of his expertise. Apart from gaining knowledge, one also begins to appreciate the subject and enjoy it.

Which brings me to another point. Now that I have begun to appreciate the "pure" Hindustani classical genre of music, I have begun to move away from "fusion" music like this. Of course, people say that this is one of the ways of keeping our musical tradition "alive", but to me it seems like an apology of a life. Maybe people like the earlier me will not reject this music, but it just doesn't have the beauty and depth of classical music.

A better way to keep our musical tradition alive (and thriving) is to expose our children to the beauty of classical music early. Children who are young enough have no pre-concieved notions of classical music being un-cool. They are like sponges and absorb beauty when they encounter it.

Urged by a friend (thanks for the good counsel :-)), I introduced my son to classical music about a year ago. He was happy to begin his lessons since he saw me doing the same. He is fortunate to be learning from such a wonderful teacher, and he is not yet 7.

I take him for as many music concerts as I can, with a book or two so he can switch between active and passive listening at will. I put him to bed with a CD of classical music (we call them "night" CD's) of his choice, and wake him up with a CD of mine. I usually have some music playing in the background even when we are doing other things.


This is my way blunting the effect of "MTV" which will no doubt seem much "cooler" when he is closer to his teens. At that point, even if he walks away from classical music, I will not mind, knowing that he has a base to which he can and will return once his rebellious years are over.

I hope to let the tradition of Hindustani classical music live on, at least in *my* family :-).

1 comment:

  1. Funny you brought this topic up. While growing up, my mother used to play Carnatic music on the stereo, and I used to wake up to her singing some rather beautiful classical songs and chants. As a typical teenager for whom it was cool to rebel, I never admitted these were nice songs to wake up to.... and would play loud Bollywood/Kollywood songs and Michael Jackson/George Michael songs..... and enjoy them. But, as I grew up.... I got drawn more towards Classical Music.... Carnatic, Hindusthani and western classical...... And, when I listen to those songs I "enjoyed".... I can't help laughing at my taste.

    My son is learning western classical instrumentals (Piano and Flute) from a very good teacher in a music school which teaches western classical..... we are finding it hard to get a good teacher for my son to teach Indian instruments.... Though he has a very good taste for beautiful music (he hums vivaldi, bach and beethovan tunes.... and stops to listen when he hears good tunes), his British accent and the language barrier is a hinderance for the teachers to teach him Indian Vocal. But for now, till he can improve his Indian language skills I am more than compensating it by teaching him Vedic Chants and doing what Mom did "play Indian classical music at home". I have been told by his current music teacher..... once he gets a good hang of the instrumentshe is currently learning, he can play any classical music on the instruments by just hearing them.... and picking up vocal and newer instruments also becomes very easy.
    I am counting on it..... because my son's teacher does infact know what he is talking.... He plays piano, guitar, flute..... and apparently know both Indian and western classical music ..... Let us hope for the best:-)

    ReplyDelete