Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Karate, Tennis, Music, Dance or something else?

I have a bright 6 year old who, apart from being at school from 8 am to 3.30 pm, periodically expresses desires to learn other stuff.

Last (academic) year, he learnt tennis, vocal music and went for a weekly "Success" camp. This academic year, we already have on our plate karate, a weekly "Success" camp and (intermittently) vocal music. He wants to add tennis and dancing.

Karate takes away 3 afternoons a week. Camp is on Saturday morning. Tennis if added is another 3 afternoons and dancing will be 2 evenings. When I do the math I wonder how I am going to fit all this in.

Oh and did I mention skating, yoga and Western vocal music that gets learnt in school?

I sometimes wonder, is it useful to be sending him to so many different activities? How will he ever get in the practice needed to excel at ANY of them? Or is this exposure time -- let him dip his feet into many different things for a few years and then select a couple to pursue?

No comments:

Post a Comment